♠ Sungkyunkwan University Science Campus 찾아오시는 길 ♠

Take line 1 from Seoul, or take line 4 and transfer at Geumjeong to line 1. Get off at Sungkyunkwan Univ. station.

There is a SKKU shuttle bus service between Sadang subway station (Lines 2 and 4) and the
   Natural Sciences Campus(Suwon).
- Shuttle bus fare : Cash 1,300Won (Duration 25 minutes)
- Shuttle bus leaves from Sadang in front of SC-first bank at
Sadang station Exit 9 (lines 2+4)
- Shuttle bus leaves from the University in front of the Students’ Hall


Highway between Gwacheon and Bongdam(312):
[Route #1]
   Walam Interchange(left turn) → SungkyunkwanUniversity station(turn right, don’t take    underground passage) → SungkyunkwanUniversity
[Route #2]
   Seosuwon Interchange(left turn) → Sungdae Crossroads(left turn) → Crossroads(right turn) →    SungkyunkwanUniversity

♠ National road 1 (KyungSu Industrial road): Uiwang Interchange → Gigidae Pass → Balan,    bound for Sungdae(right turn) → SungkyunkwanUniversity Station → SungkyunkwanUniversity

♠ Shingal-Ansan Expressway(50): Buksuwon Interchange → Gigidae Pass → Balan,
   bound for Sungdae(right turn) → SungkyunkwanUniversity Station → SungkyunkwanUniversity

♠ Gyeongbu Expressway(1): Shingal Fork(left turn) → Shingal-Ansan Expressway(drive in the    direction of Ansan) → Reference number 3

♠ Yeongdong(50), joongbu(35) Expressway: hobeop interchange → Shingal Fork → Reference number 3

                                      1. Natural Sciences Campus

M                Map of SKKU Science campus Math Dept  # 23 and # 24







     2. Main Gate (교내 정문, South Gate)  Samsung Lib. 삼성학술정보관

 3. North of Library (삼성학술정보관 바로 뒤편 건물  Natural Science Bldg 자연과학관 A, B 3 rd Fl Mathematics Dept.  

  http://www.skku.ac.kr/New_Page/about/ab_location/ab_lo_location.html 를 참조하세요.





Seoul Downtown Campus

 Humanities and Social Sciences Campus

On foot: Leave Hyehwa station (Line4) from Exit 4. Shuttle bus: Leave Hyehwa station (Line4) from
Exit 1.

♠ Main Line Bus : 301, 101, 102, 104, 106, 107, 108, 140, 143, 149, 150, 171, 172, 272
♠ Branch Line/Wide Line Bus : 1011, 1012, 1018, 1019, 2112, 9101, 9410
♠ Take the school shuttle bus at University Avenue (Daehakno) in front of Exit 1 at Hyehwa subway   station (300 won).
♠ Community bus (number 2) at Jongno : Take the bright green community bus near Jonggak
  subway   station (Exits 2 or 3), or from Anguk subway station (Exit 2)



1. How to get a proper VISA to come South Korea (Sungkyunkwan University)


There are several types of visa to enter into South Korea. They are as follows.

E-1 visa - Professor at an educational institution, 

E2 Visa - (Foreign Language Instructor),

E3 visa - Research,  

F2 Visa - (Spousal Visa),

F3 Visa - Family Dependent Visa (Bring your Spouse to Korea),  

C3 - Tourist Visa Korea

C4 - Camp Visa,

D2 - student Visa


In general, to apply visa the following are needed:


Application requirements: These may vary according to visa required and nationality of applicant.

(a) Passport valid for at least 6 months.

(b) Completed application form.

(c) One recent passport-size colour photo.

(d) Fee, payable by cash or postal order (but not cheque).

(e) Stamped, self-addressed envelope, if applicable.

(f) Proof of sufficient funds

(g) Degree Certificate copy

(h) Employment contract


Complete the visa process through mail or in-person with Korean embassies or consulates in your home country.


To get E1 visa for Foreign Professors:


Foreign professors need to apply for the E-1 visa.  The following are needed to apply E1 visa.

1) Copy of Passport
2) Application for Recognition of Visa Issuance
3) Copy of C.V. or Resume
4) Official document of degree conferment (e.g. diploma, official school transcript)
5) Employment Verification (if you are currently employed)
6) Copy of Exchange Agreement (if you are invited as an exchange professor)
7) Visa Processing Fee (Single Entry: 30 USD; Multiple Entry: 50 USD)
8) One passport-size photograph (3.5cm X 4.5cm)

9) Employment contract


Alien Registration Card

All foreigners remaining in Korea over 90 days must obtain a Certificate of Alien Registration from the Immigration Office. Application for the Certificate of Alien Registration costs 10,000 KRW and requires three passport size photos.

Immigration Offices

Gimhae Airport
Incheon Int'l Airport







2. How to reserve a place to stay


 Foreigners make a request through the department office to book a Guest house (Bong-Ryong Haksa Guest House).  The house rent for single person is 600,000 won and for family (only husband and wife) is 900,000 won per month. But, family with those who are having kids cannot stay in guest house. Those who are having kids can get rental house nearby the SKKU campus with monthly rent around 500,000 won to 900,000 won excluding water, electricity, maintenance charges.



3. How to get SKKU Science Campus




The airport limousine bus leaves every 10-15 minutes from inchon international airport. You can buy ticket in the office located in inchon international airport.


Incheon International Airport -> (Airport Express Subway) Gimpo Airport/transfer to Subway Line #5 -> (Subway Line #5) Kkachisan/transfer to Subway Line #2 -> (Subway Line #2) Sindorim / transfer to Subway Line #1 -> (Subway Line #1) Sungkyunkwan University  (Required time: approximately 2 hrs)


Required time: approximately 1 hour 20 min / Fare: approximately 80,000KW (it is costly)


For more information on transportation from the airport to downtown Seoul:
Visit: http://www.airport.kr/airport/traffic/bus/busList.iia?flag=E&fake=1212436625812


 4. a.      Tax: What is the percentage of tax to be paid by me  every month or annually? Tax is around 10 % of salary.


   b.      Health insurance: How much percentage of the monthly salary is to be contributed by me towards  health insurance with equal contribution from SKKU?

For health insurance one has to spend about 4-5% from his salary, (health insurance around 3% + medical care around 0.5-1.0 %)


  c.      Cost of living: Please indicate the probable average standard monthly expenditure for a normal family of two, husband and wife.

Monthly expenditure for a normal family of two is around 600,000 won. The house rent is 900,000 in guest house of SKKU. They can also get house outside in the range of 800,000 – 1,000,000 won, including electricity, water.


   d.      Reparation: Can I  fully repartition  the  balance Won  in US dollars?

One may be repartition  the  balance Won  in US dollars

How to get T-money card

T-money is a pre-paid card used for public transportation in Seoul. It can be used

for both buses and subways. T-money card is a rechargeable card. The card has initially

no money. T-money cards can be purchased and recharged at (train / bus) stations,

convenience stores and kiosks located adjacent to bus stops. Self-service recharge

machines are also available in all stations. Its cost 2500 won.

How to use T-money card

Cards can easily be scanned while within a purse or wallet, but it can be damaged

if you bent or subjected to unnecessary force. Place the T-money card to the card-reader.

The display will tell you how much has been deducted from your card and your current


Types of T-money card

Smaller, more durable T-money cards with a thread for easy attachment to cell

phones are also available, for about 5000 won. Watches, dolls, MP3 players, portable

memory sticks, rings, and bands containing T-money chips are also on sale.

How to get mobile phone

Foreigners over 18 years old are required to present their alien registration card

and passport when making an application. Mobile phones can be purchased at near by

cellular phone stores. There are many models of handsets available in stores. One can

choose the hand set among them. Both pre-paid and post-paid systems of mobile services

are available there. Subscription fees and charges vary according to the telephone



5. How to enjoy life in this campus town (for single and married family)


Tourist Places

There are some tourist places in and around Seoul. We can reach there by Seoul Metro subway trains. Some important places are National Museum of Korea, War Memorial, Namsan N Seoul Tower, Seonjeongneung Royal Tombs, COEX, Seoul Sport Complex, Han Gang River Cruise, Changdeokgung palace, Gyeongbokgung Palace, some markets etc.,


Suwon has three major multiplex theaters: Megabox and CGV theaters in the Suwon Station complex in the city center, as well as Kinex  in the district of Yeongtong-gu. There are also other theaters that show fewer foreign films: Cinema Town, Taehan Theater, Piccadilly Theater, Jungang Theater, Royal Theater, Dano Theater and Dano Art Hall.